Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tomato Tree

Leeny and I were walking around the orchard. I told her I wanted to see if all our trees and bushes survived the winter. We started with the blackberries, then the raspberries, blueberries and grapes. Upon examination, she thought everything was dead. At each stop I would show her the new buds and explain how the plant was alive and that the buds would soon send forth new branches and leaves.

We moved on. I was checking each tree. "Mom, look! What tree is this?" First the 2 cherry trees, then each of the three apples, Leeny would show me the buds and tell me they were alive. We could even see the start of new leaves on some. She got excited, running ahead of me. "Oh no, these ones are dead." We were at the peach trees now. "Nope," I said. "Look closer and towards the bottom." She found the buds. The three peach trees were all alive. I moved on to the pears. Leeny didn't. She yells, "Mom, look at this tomato tree! It's really alive!" Tomato tree? She shows me the tag on the tree. "See mom, tomatoes." Oh boy! I sure hope our plums don't taste like tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment