Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Wrong Guy

While at soccer practice, one child was nasty to The Bug. He called her all sorts of names and said lots of mean things to her. I told her to grow thicker skin. I told her that's how little boys flirt. I told her to ignore the boy. Later, I was telling The Husband about the little boy and Bubby overheard. He said he was going to take care of it. Bubby is not the aggressive type, so I knew he wouldn't do anything.

The next day at soccer, I found Bubby had the boy cornered. He was just talking to the boy, so I wasn't too worried. Truth be told, I was kinda proud of him for standing up for his sister. Well the boy's mom was standing there too. She asked what was going on. I briefly explained the situation. I told her it was no big deal. The Bug needed thicker skin. She called the boy over and let him know that she wouldn't put up with him calling people names and she'd wash his mouth out with soap if she heard him.

We picked The Bug up for her soccer game. Bubby & I were pretty proud that the situation had been taken care of. The Bug was not happy, not happy at all. "Thanks guys. Now I'll have 2 people on my team that hate me." Two people? No, just the one that picked on you all the time, were my thoughts. She said, "You got the wrong guy!"

Oh no! I felt like an idiot. Of course, Bubby and I apologized. He to the boy, me to the mom. Next time I'll stick with my original thought. Bug, grow thicker skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment