Saturday, April 10, 2010

We're Back

Well The Baby and I returned from the Homeschool Convention with lots of goodies. She was a great baby, hardly crying or fussing. She also became mobile while in Ohio. I put her on the blanket in the hotel room with a few toys and when I looked at her just a few minutes later, she was 5 feet away trying to eat...dare I confess.... my dirty tennis shoe! It's time to really keep an eye on her.



This was my 3rd year attending. I'm always amazed to see how many homeschoolers there are. It's reassuring to see people like yourself, to know you're not alone on this journey of educating your children at home.



What did I learn? Pretty much that I need to relax. Quit trying to bring the school home. Read aloud more, play lots of games together, let them play and explore. And, a LOT less bookwork! Basically I need to remember that education "is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire."



So here goes. We're going to grow butterflies in some kit thing I bought. A magnifying glass is going to open up a whole new world of little things (and I've always wanted to start a fire with one). We're going to play games and we're going to get back to loving learning.

1 comment: