Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More than a pink dress

I've been reading, I Saw the Angel in the Marble by Chris & Ellyn Davis. It's a great homeschooling book that really encourages you to see each child as individuals with God-created interests and abilities. One challenge was to find out your kids interests and base curriculum choices around that. I hate to admit that my initial reaction to that was sarcasm. I mean, really?! I have 3 school-aged children and a very demanding, nursing 5 1/2 month old. I'm going to a conference in about a week. I have already decided what I want to teach them next year. Ask them what they would like to learn? I'm not really interested.

Then the Bug walked in. Something made me ask. Some part of me, deep down, knew I had to ask. So, I did and was I surprised! She listed ideas and things she wanted to learn for a good 3 minutes in rapid-fire succession. I filled a notebook page. My face must have registered shock. (Truth be told, I was shocked. This is my princess-loving, dress-up wearing, make-up and all things girly, girl.) She wanted to learn about snakes and light bulbs and trees and how things are made and gorillas and....the list went on and on. Well, I was shocked. She asked me what was wrong. I told her I never would have guessed all those things that she was interested in. The Bug looked me in the eye and said, "You know mom, I'm more than a pink dress."

Is she ever! She's a child of God - the author of creativity. Shame on me for not asking before. Of course she's more than a pink dress. And when I go to convention, well, let's just say that I'll keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment