Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Friendship....

I think I have discovered the way to not make friends.....give them Amish Friendship Bread starter. You know, the stuff that someone gives you in the Ziploc bag. Then you have to feed it and squish it and 10 days later, you feed it and divide it up into 4 more bags and use the rest to make bread. The bread is yummy. And, it's kind of fun for the first go around, but then, it multiplies. And not wanting to loose the friends you have, you decide not to pass on the starter. So you now have 4 bags of starter to feed and squish and then 16 and then 64 and then.....you get the idea.
I did not want 64 bags of starter. I didn't want 16. So I got creative. I kept one bag of starter to feed and squish and eventually turn into bread because we love it. Two bags went into the freezer. Not sure what I'll do with them yet but I have a few ideas. The last bag of starter became pancakes and they were good. Very, very good.

Here's my recipe:
1 cup Not-so-Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups Pancake Mix (I used Bisquick)
1 cup water
1/3 cup milk
1 small apple, diced
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix altogether. Use about 1/4 cup for each pancake. You could add some brown sugar but then they'd be really sweet....no syrup necessary. We liked them just plain. Will most definitely make these again.
Those bags in the freezer....I'm thinking something with pumpkin.....to celebrate fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment