Saturday, January 1, 2011

Unexpectedly Good

Sometimes you see a recipe and just know that your family will like it. The soup I made today was one of those. Everybody liked it. A whole lot. It caught my eye because I thought it would be fast. It was.

Hearty Hamburger Soup

2 lbs. Ground Beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
6 c. water
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 pkg (6 3/4 oz.) beef pasta dinner mix - Yes, it's Hamburger Helper
1 bay leaf
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
I added a couple tsp. sugar.

The recipe says to brown the beef and onion till its done; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until pasta is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings

*I made it even easier. I keep hamburger already cooked in my freezer. So, I dumped everything except the noodles into the pot. I used dehydrated onion. Then just let it cook for a while. I added the noodles about 10 minutes before we wanted to eat.

This is my idea of fast food. It's way healthier too. We will be making this again. Like when we've been gone all day and get home at supper time and haven't planned ahead. Twenty minutes and supper is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment