Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Smell

The smell takes me back. Way back. I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time. It still smells the same. I remember that those halls seemed to go on forever. It was a little bit scary. Where were we really going? They twisted and turned and then...we stepped out into the bright sunlight. We were at the public pool.
What is it about smells that take us back? The smell of a certain deodorant takes me back to my 7th grade field trip to Hannibal, MO. The smell of line dried clothes, reminds me of taking baths at Grammy's house at the timber. Certain smells and I remember something like it was yesterday. Just like the pool. Almost 30 years later, I can still remember that first time. Those swimming lessons -holding on to the edge of the pool and kicking my feet, water splashing everywhere. Feeling scared and at the same time, proud of myself.
My kids take lessons there now. I wonder if someday when they go back, will that smell take them back to their childhood days?

No comments:

Post a Comment