Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fences

I had to run to the farm store today. We were out of dog food. It's always best if I go rather than the husband. I get dog food and spend $25-30. If he goes...well...let's just says it's at LEAST 4 times what I spend. As I was walking out the door, he hands me some yellow plastic thing and says that I need to pick up two bags of these. (I should have left faster)

So the yellow thing was something for building electric fence. Our Billy Goat is tearing up the regular fence, so the Husband is going to get him. A good strong, knock-you-on-your-butt jolt should teach it!

Wouldn't you know, the farm store was out of the ones I needed. So I thought perhaps there would be some in the back. I asked for help. I got a Grumpy Old Man. It was very busy in there and there were at least 4 people needing him. I'm guessing multi-tasking wasn't his thing.

Me: Everybody must be building fence.

Grumpy Old Man: Well they ought to be. People ought to know how to raise their own food...and their meat.

He goes on to tell me that he raises cattle and pigs and tells me about our horrible economy.

Then he looks at me with an almost sneer and says, "You buildn' fence for a horse?"

What?! What if I did? It's not his business!

Me: Nope. My husband doesn't like horses. Says they are a waste of feed. We raise cattle, goats, chickens and turkeys.

I tell him that it's actually the older two kids who do the animals. We just foot the bills, help build fence and oversee things.

GOM: Well good for you. At least your family will be fed when the s**t hits the fan.

Yes, he really said that.
Apparently he has no faith in our economy. Not that I have much either. But it was so funny to listen to this Grumpy Old Man.
Not only did I get his approval, I even got a half smile.
Don't worry Grumpy Old Man, I won't be asking you for meat when our country crashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment